Forum: MarketPlace Showcase

Subject: Best place to sell?

Saro opened this issue on Sep 13, 2005 ยท 25 posts

pdxjims posted Sat, 17 September 2005 at 10:52 AM

Pros and cons: You get the best cut (percentage-wise) at PoserPros, 3D Commune, and other smaller stores. They also get less traffic than the 'sity or Daz. The result is fewer sales for a bigger cut. The 'sity has the largest number of releases, so your offering will more quickly move off the first displayed page. That first page exposer is VERY important to sales. The 'sity also has the most traffic, so you get more exposure in the short time you are on the first page. PoserPro's is rebuilding their base after some controversy and purchase by Daz. It will continue to grow, but does get less traffic than it used to. The cut and the people you work with there are great though. Daz is the premium site to sell though. Selling at Daz is a world all on it's own. You get some very nice perks selling through Daz, and occassionally they'll purchase an item outright to sell as a Daz Original or Platinum Club item (nice for quick cash). They don't sell anything supporting a product or figure not in their store. So if you're doing a texture set for Apollo Maximus clothing, don't even try Daz. The brokers there are pretty good though, and if you do sell at Daz, you get at least a full week or three first page space, and that really helps sales. They also have a reputation for quality control that helps sales. I've got one item at PoserPro's, and expect to sell more there. Most of my items are at Daz, since I have a great relationship with my broker there (I love my Daniel). I've got one major item here at the 'sity, and have another that should be out in a few days. All three stores have been VERY good to me. sturkwurk is right about selling at more than one store. He's also right about considering Anomotions and 'rotica too. However, 'rotica caters to a more adult crowd. I'm working on a specialty set for sale there now, that wouldn't be allowed at most any other site. 'rotica, by it's nature, has fewer hits than some places that're family oriented, but it's a great place for things that push the limits, and the people there are wonderful. My advice? If it's for a popular Daz item and is very good quality, sell at Daz if you can. You'll get some nice perks, and make pretty good sales. The perks make selling at least one or two items at Daz worth it. If it's for another figure, sell at either the 'sity or PoserPro's or 3DCommune. They get the most traffic (the 'sity gets the best). Once you're established, start considering trying other sites to see how you do on cheaper items to start. Odd Ditty's percentage look VERY attractive, but they have a lot less traffic than the major stores. I'll probably be following my own advice on this soon. One last thing. YOU'RE responsible for your own advertising. Don't count on any site to advertise as well as you can. Post previews and notices of your product EVERYWHERE, not just the store you choose. The more people who see your product, the more sales you'll make.