Forum: MarketPlace Showcase

Subject: Best place to sell?

Saro opened this issue on Sep 13, 2005 ยท 25 posts

hauksdottir posted Sat, 17 September 2005 at 1:53 PM

I was a hustler at SF cons for 16 years... sole proprietor, selling my own art (with occasional marketing of work by my friends), all over the country (several WorldCons with great exposure), and even up into Canada. I sold original art, signed prints, hand-colored prints, buttons, origami sculptures on mineral specimens.... I kept detailed records of what sold where. Why? because the areas were vastly different. In Boston, all the dragons I sold were green. No golds, no purples, no reds... just green... but lots of them. Some conventions I only sold origami and some conventions I only sold my best originals out of the art shows. Some conventions were more fantasy oriented, and some were more hard-science and tech oriented. Sometimes humor sold, sometimes it didn't. Each venue is different, each area of the country is different, each set of customers is different. If I were to sell into the Poser market, I'd try to offer a variety of stuff (props, clothing, environments) and I would try to cover as many of the stores as possible. THEN I'd keep detailed records of what sold where. For example, if clothes were lost in the clutter just about everywhere except at store x, but props always sold well, I'd have a choice of pushing a line of clothes at the one store (maybe give them an exclusive) while spending more time making props so that name recognition built up everywhere. I would not make underwear and fetish clothes and cartoon kiddies simply because "bondage sells" or "cute sells". I'd make the things which interest ME and put the time and care into them that I'd demand from any merchant. If it is made with enthusiam and a genuine knowledge and love for the topic, my time is better spent doing my best work, and people's money is also better spent. I'd also look at what I purchased... and why. Do extra light sets or MAT poses simply clog up resources and time, or do they make a sale? Camera sets for a spaceship interior and lighting for a haunted house make more sense than cameras and lights for a character standing there in open air! If I hate products with !!!damned exclamation marks and unidentifiable texture names (black.jpg) which require renaming by the consumer, I certainly wouldn't inflict others with that nonsense. (If I look at the readmes in advance, I have to assume that other potential customers do as well: sloppiness and thoroughness are often apparent before purchase.) Finally, I'd ask someone else to proof-read ALL advertising, especially banner ads, promo pics, or anything which is embedded in a graphic. Many artists are quite good model-makers or texturers, but don't have a firm grasp of the English language. At least 3 merchants have offered "alters" when they meant "altars". You intend to stake out the nubile blonde for the demon, but she gets turned into a fluffy white toypoodle before he arrives and things will get very bad or very silly... depending upon the artist... many of whom will snicker. Do you want customers snickering? It sounds mean-spirited, but customers are human. The exception, of course, is if part of what you are offering IS humor. Maclean's readmes in his 3dc freestuff are hilarious. Someone selling a robot might pun on crankcase while someone offering a cellphone or gamebox might deliberately use cybertext. The key here is deliberate! Before putting your product out into the spotlight have someone else check over the promotional materials and anything you've written up... just to be certain that the package as a whole is as good as it can be. Carolly