Forum: MarketPlace Showcase

Subject: Best place to sell?

Saro opened this issue on Sep 13, 2005 ยท 25 posts

hauksdottir posted Sat, 17 September 2005 at 5:13 PM

Pdxjims, Nah! 😊 But convention sales and commissions were my entire livelihood for several years before I got into computer art... so I had to pay attention to what sold where or I wouldn't eat. Something Faveral didn't directly say brought up another point: specialty stuff may sell better if there is a bit of competition, which is more likely at the bigger stores. If I'm looking for good clothing or hair, I can browse through just about any of the shops, including the individual merchant sites, and find what I need. This way I can patronize those merchants who always provide good service and quality. But if I am looking for a pirate ship, a viking hall, undersea coral, a loom, whatever, I'm most apt to go to the largest site and search their store first, in the hopes of finding at least one. If I find it, I may keep looking, depending upon my time, to do a bit of comparison shopping. Sometimes a suite will include the particular item (I bought his nautical set because it contained the sextant I need). Keywords are vital, especially at sites with bad search engines. Sites with site-wide sales and specials are going to bring in more browsing customers, some of whom will buy for later use. That isn't a steady cashflow, but welcome. Some sites also have holiday giveaways (RDNA, Renderosity, FairieWylde) where you can offer a sample knowing that a lot of people will pick it up and become familiar with your name and work... and it will have good vibrations attached to it. Folks often have a spot of spending money during the holidays or they are getting gifts for others, so raising your recognition factor at that time of year is useful. Another way to get more name recognition is with sponsoring contests. This forum used to have more of the "name this character" or "guess the file-size" type of small contests, but you can also perhaps sponsor a contest or provide a prize for a challenge in order to build a more targetted market. Let's take a wild example... let's suppose that you've got a line of dog clothing: sweaters with letters, plaid raincoats, santa hats & booties, and fuzzy pink with pom-pom ties. You could have "It's a Dog's Life" contest where people render images of dogs working or shopping or playing poker and the winner gets his pick from your store (or however many prizes you think are suitable given an expected number of entries). Everybody who likes dogs will become aware of your specialty, even if they would never put roller skates on one, and not just the winner(s) but other customers will browse your store. A secondary advantage of something like this, is that you can get more ideas for future products by seeing what folks have rendered... suppose that somebody used the snorkel and flippers from Vicky on a retriever, but the fit on the goggles wasn't quite right, you could smile and add "sporting goods" to your to-do list... and you know who'd make the perfect beta-tester. It doesn't matter what product line you have, you ought to be able to come up with some fun marketing ploy. Just more things to think about. Carolly