Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Say goodbye P6 Hello Daz Studio!!

DIMENSION_X opened this issue on Sep 19, 2005 ยท 148 posts

Jimdoria posted Mon, 19 September 2005 at 1:10 PM

Randym77 says:

We're an odd group. What would be called "prosumers" in the electronics business. Not quite consumers, not quite professionals. It's always a small group...

I think your example here runs pretty much counter to your argument. Back when I bought "Prosumer" video gear in the early 90's, it was a small market. Now, it is a HUGE market! Video cameras used to be consumer (<$1000) or professional (>$10,000) and only a couple of models in between - now look at the choices all along the price range between those two points.

And you know what? It took years for "prosumers" to get the same tools professionals had in the world of standard video. Not so in the new world of HD video. The Prosumer models come out with feature sets comparable to the pro rigs within the same time frame. Some companies are even INNOVATING in the prosumer space now, and only later adding features into the professional space. In some ways, prosumer has swallowed professional.

Which makes sense. Only so many people can work full time in such a small industry. The potential number of serious hobbyists or semi-professionals is far greater.

As for the price of D|S and assorted plugins matching that of Poser, lets see a show of hands: How many people who bought Poser went out on the same day and bought all the content and extra utilities they thought they'd need to use with it? Anyone?

Now raise your hand if you frequently check your bank account to see when you're going to be able to afford the next Poser goodie you've had your eye on? I know mine's in the air.

I think what D|S represents is pretty much a new type of financing for consumer-level 3-D apps - and the first "payment" is free. Instead of having to drop a sum of money all at once to get in the game, you can work your way in slowly. You might buy the magnet plug-in this paycheck, and the more expensive cloth room plug-in (let's say) two paychecks from now, but you WILL be spending the money. Eventually, you may spend MORE than you did on Poser, but in smaller, more palatable chunks.

What's more, DAZ gets to develop the app a little at a time, instead of having to make this huge investment in programming all at once to try and match Poser's feature set.

And of course, having the tool is going to fuel your appetite for content and the revenue it represents, as has already been mentioned.