Forum: Photography

Subject: Technology marches on

MGD opened this issue on Oct 01, 2005 ยท 12 posts

MGD posted Sun, 02 October 2005 at 12:00 PM

Attached Link: Pexagon Technology: Hitachi Micrododrive Digital Camera Compatibility

@Randys Thanks for the detail info My good buddy Google couldn't find a microdrive identified as "green 2.2 gig (ultra store)" (I tried various combinations of search terms) ... and you did say "maybe". I wandered through the Canon web site but found limited references to microdrive WRT cameras -- plenty of references to microdrive and printers (I wonder how they think the images get onto the microdrives?). The Canon web site does specifically mention (occasionally) compatibility with IBM (now Hitachi) 1G microdrives. I found a site (Pexagon) that had a microdrive vs. camera compatibility list -- but only for Hitachi, not the one you had. As a point of reference, note that some Canon models (but not the one you have) do not support drives that would require the use of FAT-32. For that matter, I'm not sure if a 2.2GB drive is large enough that it must use FAT-32. The Pexagon Technology Media Information page http://www.pexagontech.com/mdmediainfo.htm does state "Hitachi Microdrive Digital Media offers high-capacity, removable storage in a standard CompactFlash Type II format. With a media transfer rate of up to 15MB per second ..." That suggests that some RAM buffering is happening in the Hitachi CF device ... it might even be a feature that is unique to the Hitachi microdrives. That would be something to double check (RAM buffer and/or sustained transfer rate) WRT the microdrive products that failed in your camera. It is possible that when your microdrive devices ran out of buffer space (internal to the CF), the camera body detected a timeout condition and gave you an error message. HTH but YMMV -- in fact, Your Mileage Did Vary. LOL MGD