Forum: Fractals

Subject: Thoughts about flames

Deagol opened this issue on Oct 07, 2005 ยท 49 posts

Deagol posted Fri, 07 October 2005 at 6:50 PM

Great link. Thanks.

Thanks, too, for not getting all defensive about this. You have no idea how much I love our artform. Well, maybe you do. My goal is to see it move forward, along with everyone involved.

I agree, all spirals look the same too. It's the nature of fractal art. It has limits. BTW, lately I've been building a lot of spirals.

A standalone flame with a black background is like a picture of a flower with a black background. It's still beautiful, and it is art according the above definition, but it's not much of a composition. Put that flower in a mountain meadow next to a tree or a lake and then you have some creativity. Take a flame and put it someplace interesting using GIMP, PSP, PS, UF or whatever. When you do that you have to make decisions like where to put it, what to put it next to, where to use the airbrush and what to mask out. You have to be creative. It's a risk too, because it might look stupid (believe me, I know about looking stupid), but a lot of times you have to take a chance to move forward. When it works, it feels good, even if it only works for yourself.

Message edited on: 10/07/2005 18:56