Forum: Fractals

Subject: 13.1.20.20.25

villainousBedlamite opened this issue on Oct 06, 2005 ยท 35 posts

tutri posted Sat, 08 October 2005 at 11:46 AM

Here's some random thoughts on the matter from my deteriorated brains..... For what it's worth, I found the numeric response refreshing. At first I had no clue who it was or what it all was about, but after reading the above posts I had a good laff. I think I understand Matt's behaviour quite well, it's good to see someone break the mold every now and then, so to speak. And no, I don't LIKE the obviously provocative comment by him quoted in the above posts, but I would not have been insulted by it either. I personally have not seen the obscene feedback he has given, but I'm guessing it must have at least partially originated from his frustration at the strict behaviour rules here at the community, or rather, the certain monotonousness (read: political correctness, lack of negativity and/or constructiveness) in the feedback he'd got. Then again, what do I know, I don't know the guy. Anyway, I don't know where exactly the line of unacceptable behaviour lies here, and I don't know how many unfriendly messages Matt sent - and for how long - but in general forums tend to kick people out only if they are 'trolling', in other words, their only reason for posting is to try and f*k up the conversations, relations and whatnot taking place within the community. For some reason I somehow find it difficult to believe Matt did that, and to me it seems this was just a case of overreacting on both sides. Yet again, I don't know the details of the incident at all... Don't get me wrong, I like this community a lot, and I certainly don't mind positive feedback, but sometimes it seems to me that people refrain from speaking their true opinion about the fractals appearing in the gallery. There are probably many reasons for that, but I think a fear of insulting the artist and perhaps being banned from Rosity does have an effect on what people write. Of course 'silence is golden' in many cases, but too much silence kills the conversation. I also find it quite strange that even though all the artists here are knowingly bringing their work before a large number of people they have never even heard of, some take the feedback they get as if it came from the mouths of their closest personal friends. If I went to an art gallery and put my images on display, I certainly would have to be prepared to get all sorts of comments from the visitors. I would have to endure all kinds of crappy reviews and even some straightforward insults, but that's just how things are, want it or not. If you can't take criticism, even harsh, don't bring your work out in the public. Besides, what harm can a stranger's bark do to you? Farts in the wind I say. There's also a vague chance of learning something from the feedback, a chance to see your own work from an entirely different viewpoint. If there's any 'meat' in a critical comment, I try and re-evaluate my work from that viewpoint. If not, the message will only serve for a quick dose of entertainment if even that. I only wish I would get some criticism some day, I know the sht I post has lots of room for improvement... Anyway, have a nice weekend everyone. -Petri