Forum: Fractals

Subject: Updated personal gallery...

tdierikx opened this issue on Oct 07, 2005 ยท 7 posts

mandelabram posted Sat, 08 October 2005 at 12:25 PM

Hello - nice site and flames. I have a question that I have been meaning to ask for a time. Why so many images??? Please, I don't mean to ruffle any feathers nor mean any harm, but why do you seem to post every flame fractal you have made? 67 flames takes a good bit of time to render and, judging from the time of your last announced additions, this seems to be about as many as could be rendered in that time period given multiple daily renders. Or maybe they aren't rendered very large? What I am hitting at is this: Why are you not selective in the choices you make of which images to post to your site? It would seem a matter of pride that you would upload only your finest efforts. I was unable to go beyond a few pages and left. I saw a few excellent works but most were simply nice. Please don't be defensive - none of us can produce a masterpiece at will in this endeavour and this is merely one bloke's opinion. The effect could be this: say an art dealer comes to your site in search of the next great artist to sign to a contract. He is inundated with a hundred options and so randomly selects a few pages. As fortune would - or would not - have it, he happens to select pages with only average images and so leaves, being an entrepreneur in a hurry, and goes on to the next fractal site. By not being selective, you have lost the opportunity for exposure of your very best works - of which there are a good number, they are just buried within a thousand other nice works. This behaviour is echoed here at R'osity by many of the fractal artists. Some are selective but many seem to post every single image they make on a daily or even more frequent basis. There is one Dutch artist whom, in his desperation to relive some glorious past he, reportedly, had in the early days of fractals, schemes the system and posts more than 3 per day by replacing them. The man is capable still of a great piece occasionally but I don't look because I'm inured to his work by the overabundance of merely "good" works and have tired of wading through all of the others to find the occasional gem. There are artists here with over a hundred pages to their galleries. How can they expect their finest to ever be seen, particularly by those of us on dial-up connections? Fewer postings would mean less time wasted browsing and much more time available for the honing of our techniques, non? My opinion is this: you should all be selective in what you post and understand that your online galleries are a representation of your expertise as an artist and you should, therefore, post only your finest works as the quality of the work in your gallery forms the impression you give as an artist. Posting a thousand images with 30 masterpieces intermingled gives the impression of inconsistency in your work. You are a fine flame artist - among the best in my opinion - but you dilute your offerings so greatly that it takes a lot of work to discover this. Please do not take this as being mean-spirited - I mean no disrespect. Be you well, Avram