Forum: Fractals

Subject: Thoughts about flames

Deagol opened this issue on Oct 07, 2005 ยท 49 posts

Beebee127 posted Sun, 09 October 2005 at 7:07 PM

I go to art museums, and there is so much there that is indescribably beautiful, yet I wouldn't particularly want it on my living room wall. But in a book, on a calendar, or other medium, I'd consider making a purchase. Perhaps by mostly limiting the exposure to prints, the market for digital art is bound to be tiny. I do not attempt to make flames and fractals as a business, and I doubt I ever will. I certainly applaud those who do, tho, and I cheer them on and wish them luck. A few of my images have been used in other ways, however...a cd cover in the Ukraine, another in Australia, limited edition greeting cards in the UK, a silkscreen scarf by a small but emerging fabric business , and one is being used very soon on a band's website. In every case I have given the images for free, but in every case I was approached with $ offers. This led me to wonder if there weren't a totally different market for our designs...wouldn't some of them look fabulous as a wallpaper border, or a fun china pattern, or place mats, or outdoor furniture cushions? I don't know that anyone will get rich selling digital art, but aren't artists supposed to starve in their lifetimes? I may be mistaken, but unless one had a patron, and did commissioned work, the creative people lived the life of bohemians, fed mostly by the love of their art. I now go to find me a beer and browse the galleries. :)