Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Apartment of the future...

ANGEL_of_WAR opened this issue on Oct 22, 2005 ยท 17 posts

nomuse posted Sat, 22 October 2005 at 3:31 PM

Hrm. 2070, eh? Well, first have to draw a line between what's possible, and what is gonna be in a typical room of the projects on the wrong side of Chicago. (I have a feeling those brownstones will still be there!) Fifty-five years is enough for major changes in the way we organize our lives and work; the last twenty saw the information revolution, with only the last ten bringing most of us to the Internet and digital cameras and cell phones. Fifty years ago from today Television was sweeping the western world (those parts that weren't still in post-war ruin), Rosie the Riviter had morphed back into Suzy Homemaker and was really starting to chafe at the role, the South was still largely segregated, much of the rural US was still getting their first phone. The living room was still the center of the nuclear (and nuke-fearing) family, with television taking the place of radio as the centerpiece but the shows and the style of watching them still largely the same. My feeling is that the greatest change in living space was the move towards individual housing; single people in apartments, couples that lived apart, the shift of entertainment devices from the centralized common room to bedrooms and from family doings to individual pursuits. So what happens in another fifty years? My feeling is the current isolation does not continue. Physical isolation probably increases, but the electronic connections to other people are going to become ever more pervasive. I see in less than twenty years a moving away from conceptualization of communications, snap photography, music, entertainment and information programming as device specific tasks; tasks in which one picks up a cell phone, a camera, an MP3 player, et al and operates it towards the desired result. I see within fifty years a merging of not just the devices but the tasks, to where you don't have "entertainment" and "education" and "advertising" but instead a steady stream of complex information. I also foresee an increasing virtualization and mock-humanization of many tasks, plus increasing reliance on automation. So the idea of, say, a shopping list is superceded by expert systems that understand your dietary needs and preferences and do the mundane tasks of ordering food and contracting delivery to you.