Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Very OT: Sony hijacks your computer. (Not a joke!)

destro75 opened this issue on Nov 04, 2005 ยท 65 posts

kuroyume0161 posted Fri, 04 November 2005 at 7:13 PM

What are CD's? ;) Ever since the Napster debacle (*), I basically stopped buying Audio CDs. If I purchased any, it was from a used-CD store. Since iTunes, what are CD's again? I now only purchase songs through iTunes and play them on my shiny new 30GB video iPod. Hey, if there is anything unavailable there, oh well. * Wherein I was banned from Napster because I had Metallica songs - read carefully - ripped from my legally purchased Audio CDs to my computer for my own personal use (such as running in WinAmp with PaceMaker to adjust the pitch while practicing guitar) and not available for sharing - this was a legal copy of the music. I was banned just because the files 'existed' on my computer, albeit legally. They were not included in my Napster interface which I rarely used. As a matter of fact, the banning occurred several months after discontinuing any use of Napster. Could of just as easily uninstalled it at that time. It wasn't the banning that peeved me as much as the blind way in which it was done. Had I 'downloaded' the songs, justifiable. But was there any check of whether they were legal or not ... No. This is what DRM means for your future. Now they can frag with your computer at the kernel level and open the door to all sorts of malicious destruction whether direct or indirect (like formatting all of your harddrives and locking you out of Windows and sending all of your passwords to a hacker so that he can empty your bank account, fill your credit cards, and send you into bankruptcy - just in time for the new Chapter 11 laws). Welcome to the Brave New World!

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone