Forum: 3D Modeling

Subject: Any MODO users?

dvisuals opened this issue on May 15, 2005 ยท 10 posts

DeepLayers posted Sat, 05 November 2005 at 8:46 PM

Modo has become my main modeler within the last two months. I'm a Mac user and prior to modo I had been using ElectricImage's modeler which I loved. They've discontinued it's development so I started looking into new apps just to be on board something else if and when EIM finally started to seem obsolete as other products continued to develope. ElectricImage was offering a special deal on Silo when they launched version 5 of EI since they were no longer offering their own modeler. I downloaded the demo of Silo and played with it a bit but not a lot to be honest. I had never used a Sub-D modeler before and the interface was unlike anything I'd ever used before so I kept reverting to EIM to get my work done because of time concerns. I saw info on modo and when to the Lux site and was impressed with what I saw there even though I still had no experiance in Sub-D modeling. What I liked though was that modo works as well as a ploygonal modeler as it does a Sub-D modeler. In fact it is able to work a lot like EIM (a solids/NURBS modeler) so I was able to get results from it pretty quickly. I can't say that I ever gave Silo a fair tryout. I've seen great work done with it but then I've seen great work done with almost every modeler I've ever seen. I like modo and I'm happy that the forth coming version (which I've pre-ordered) will have the new layered renderer in it, but in truth I've always felt that the tools which do the best work are the ones that you connect with the best. At the moment my tools of choice are EI and C4D for rendering and modo and EIM for modeling.
Curt