Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: I don't understand the SCAREBEAR FEVER...

Casette opened this issue on Nov 06, 2005 ยท 50 posts

xoconostle posted Sun, 06 November 2005 at 11:24 AM

Attached Link: http://www.netherworks-studios.com/

Actually there's no glut of dynamic dresses. There's even less dynamic clothing for male meshes, which is understandable, since feminine clothing is ideal. Bikinis and nighties and frilly little panties? Yeah, lots and lots of all that, but I'd love to see more dynamic clothing. Lots more. Even for Scarebear. :-) The context of the Scarebear release should be taken into consideration. I'm assuming in good faith that the people making the negative remarks don't know the larger context. If I understand correctly, (and please correct me if I get any of this wrong, folks) Netherworks lives in New Orleans, and suffered great loss from Hurricane Katrina. For those who don't know, Netherworks is a very talented and generous member of our community who has made very useful freebies and delightful commercial products for a long time. Some community members offered donations to Netherworks after the storm. As a "thank you" to the community, Scarebear was offered for free for a limited time. This coincided appropriately, if coincidentally with Halloween season ... the idea of a menacing teddy bear ... it's as cute as it is funny and "scary." Quite original and charming. The community enthusiasm is in large part a matter of making something fun and positive in the aftermath of a horrific disaster that has affected thousands of Americans directly and millions of others less directly. Although I didn't happen to download the bear because I didn't feel I'd use it, I think the world of Netherworks for his fortitude and generosity and positive spirit in light of what he endured. Bear (heh heh) in mind that while the Teddy Bear is now a globally beloved children's toy, it's American in origin, and holds a special place in sentimental American iconography. A teddy bear with fangs is pretty appropriate to today's "cool" sensibilities. We are indeed a very trendy community, and when "the latest thing" comes along it can sometimes be annoying when it's not *your* thing. Gads, I quickly sickened of the GIRL phenomenon. So many gawdawful cutesy-tootsy barbiedoll renders ... bleh. But that's just me. To someone else, she was charming, sexy, adorable, beautiful ... all that good stuff. My "bleh" reaction doesn't invalidate the appreciators' one bit. Even though Scarebear isn't this community member's "thing," I think the whole phenomenon in this case, given the background context, is wonderful, and think very highly of Netherworks and the people who supported him for making lemonade of a big lemon.