Forum: Photoshop

Subject: POSTER QUALITY ....

AZAD opened this issue on Nov 06, 2005 ยท 6 posts

thundering1 posted Thu, 10 November 2005 at 2:50 PM

Yeah, dunno exactly how its going to be output, so not sure of the advice. Archdruid's right - I ran a Lambda (48" wide) and a Fuji Frontier (10" wide minilab) and when making an 8x10, I could barely tell the difference between files that were 1200x1500 (8x10@150ppi)or 2400x3000 (8x10@300ppi). Those kinds of printers fill in some blanks, smooth out stepping, etc. You go below that, though, and things start to look a little too "smoothed out". Kind of the same thing with inkjet printers (though they won't "smooth" things out) - you can get away with 150ppi at the size you'll be printing, and unless you look really close you won't be able to tell the difference. Printing for catalogs, they're gonna want his res images - I turn in CDs of 3000x4500ppi CMYK TIFs, and they just resize them as needed (apparently, they can go as low as 212dpi output, making them 14'x21' print capability so they can do a double page spread). So, again, contact whomever will be doing the printing, see if they need any special color profiles (some have their own custom profiles), find out their size requirements, and find out their format preferences (PDF, TIF, BMP, etc., as well as RGB or CMYK). Good luck and happy Photoshopping- -Lew ;-)