Forum: Photography

Subject: !!--Last Week in the Galleries--!!

DJB opened this issue on Nov 14, 2005 ยท 39 posts

cynlee posted Mon, 14 November 2005 at 2:42 PM

would it be possible to explain to the creator, in a few words, why you choose a certain picture? Of course I've read your statement above this selection ('Last Week in the Gallery is a feature which allows us to let others view images we believe deserve a look or second look'). But I'm interested in why a picture deserves a look or second look in your opinion, because you are experienced photographers and look at pictures in another way than most people do. In this way I hope to learn what makes a picture a better picture than others...

I am posting this here because it is a fair question to ask & one many would like to know... I can only answer for myself so here goes..

For the record, I do not consider myself a professional anything, by any means, although I did major in Fine Arts at the University of Texas, taking the basics.. photography being one of them, also took some courses in graphic design which includes composition.. as well as being on my HS Yearbook staff & exposed to the Arts for as long as I can remember. I do have a passion for it but realize even though I try to be fair I am not always the best judge.

First off the LWitG was started by one of our past moderators, Misha & was intended as just an overview with no real conditions applied. It has since grown in popularity & recognition.. & still only a small sampling of the excellence that is posted weekly in the gallery (approx 800 images/wk).

But there are qualities I do look for & it is obviously not totally random.. those being.. quality/technical appearance, composition, concept/uniqueness, appeal/attraction & mood.. & certainly not insistent on having those attributes all in one image.

Also I try not repeat too readily the same members over & over but give as many as I can a shot at being in the LWitG... it does happen that a lot of the same images that consistently standout just happen to be by the same artists.. so I am always looking for new or improved work too.

Since some do not have time to cruise the gallery & depend on their ebots this is also a quick & easy way to see what's new for them.

And lastly it is also an acceptable alternative/compliment to the Hot 20 which will be dealt with in the coming new year in making it satisfactory to everyone who's ever had their concerns about it (& don't really want this to become another one of "those" discussions as we are well aware of it's faults).

So I hope this helps some in answering the question (not so shortly, lol, & a bit longwinded) & a most sincere thank you to each & every one of our photography members who make our little corner of Renderosity a productive & creative one.

cynlee Message edited on: 11/14/2005 14:47