Forum: Bryce

Subject: bryce and dual-pentium?

cloudclimber opened this issue on Mar 02, 2001 ยท 6 posts

douglaslamoureaux posted Fri, 09 March 2001 at 4:01 PM

I have a dual 350 Mhz PII setup under which I run both NT 4 and Win 98. There's not much benefit of using dual processors. There is some small benefit to using NT of about five percent. Under NT, the performance meter sez I'm hitting each processor at about fifty percent. I have seen it hit fifty-three percent, but maybe the procs' are running additional programs. Your 866Mhz PIII machine with 512 Meg of RAM is only twice as fast as your 200 Mhz Pentium II? There's gotta be something wrong there, just based on clock speed. I got a jump from my Pentium Pro 200 to my 350 Mhz machine of about 1.7, pretty much equivalent to the increase in clock speed. Also, Bryce ought to be just swimming with all that RAM. You're not trying to run SETI in the background or some other nefarious cycle-byter are you? But Render times are slow, no matter what. I'm running a thirty-hour render at home right now. Its just a tree, and a few terrains, but I prefer to use the artistic antialiasing and 2048x1576 renders.