Forum: Carrara

Subject: More problems with Poser import into Carrara 5 Pro

agiel opened this issue on Dec 13, 2005 ยท 17 posts

GrantMH posted Wed, 14 December 2005 at 7:07 AM

I hate coming across a bug in new software but in the words of the creepy evil program dude in the Matrix, "it is inevitable." I think the model for release in all 3D aps is a little different than other applications. Although there's a rather large 3D community it's miniscule compare to say the Adobe, or Macromedia community (now one and the same).

Not everyone has the "gumption" to take on learning these complex aps so I'm guessing the number of potential customers hits a ceiling pretty quick and is slower to grow. That means that 3D companies have to release upgrades along a pretty tight schedule because they probably rely on return customers at a higher proportion to new customers than do other kinds of aps.

Also, just the nature of what 3D aps do means they must be super, super complex under the hood. More and more they are designed to work in conjunction with other complex aps so the sync of the two leaves lots of room for mistakes.

These 2 things means that, IMHO, most 3D aps release upgrades with more bugs than other aps because they just can't financially afford to have longer release cycles to work out all the bugs. Something we just have to grin and bare and hope we don't get stuck with a situation like the Maxwell folks did.