Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Any breakthrus in Poser character rigging?

operaguy opened this issue on Dec 18, 2005 ยท 48 posts

randym77 posted Tue, 20 December 2005 at 5:43 PM

*I doubt Poser is going to somehow be overtaken by lowpoly game systems*

I think it will, if it remains stuck in the P4 past. A lot of "low-poly" games look pretty damned good. And the trade off is that you can build much larger and more complex scenes than you can with Poser. If all you want to do is make pretty pictures, it's enough.

And games are improving all the time. Look at the difference between the original Sims and The Sims 2. It's a huge improvement - much greater than the improvement between Poser 5 and 6.

Games already have a much larger base of users than Poser does. Millions of people have bought The Sims. Some Second Life merchants make thousands of dollars a month, selling items for $1-$2 a pop. They are cheaper, easier, and faster to use than even Poser 4. Could that indie film (described in the "Movies" link I posted above) have been put online as quickly if done in Poser? I doubt it. The rendering time alone would be prohibitive. Games are going to take over the "quick and easy" segment of the market.

And I think DAZ and e-Frontier are well aware of this. They are not going to be standing still.