Forum: Fractals

Subject: Apoophysis or Art?

TonyYeboah opened this issue on Dec 20, 2005 ยท 96 posts

Rykk posted Sun, 25 December 2005 at 10:35 PM

Arend - actually, at that art show, almost nobody sold ANYTHING or even got any bids. Regardless of the post-convention hype you read to get artists to come to the next DragonCon, I was there almost all day every day and saw it all first-hand. There was only one piece - a pastel of a baby dragon and a kitten in a basket with a ball of yarn - that even was bid anywhere near $100. It sold for $135. The only other pieces that sold were $45 and below. Very small. And not very many. My pieces were printed huge and ranged from $250 to $1000, which was the low end of average for pieces that size matted and framed. Some acrylics by Robb Brown were $12,900. Daryll Sweet worked his buns off just to sell a few calendars and none of his pieces sold, either. The only problem with that show was that it was a science fiction convention first and the artshow was a small, secondary sideshow of it. Almost none of the attendees came to see an artshow or buy a piece of art. They came to see wookies, storm troopers, Mr Sulu, and to buy fantasy game pieces and costumes. I think there IS or can be an interest in fractal art if it is shown in the right venue. The internet is definitely the absolute wrong place to sell any art unless it is a very well respected site that art buyers - with money - would frequent. Certainly not places like Rendo or DVA where most of the visitors are artists themeselves and have no interest in buying someone else's art. And nobody wants to spend ANY money for ANYTHING at these sites. They think the internet should all be free which is, IMO, what will be the undoing of many sites like DVA. The 'net has ALWAYS been about commerce and if nobody buys anything, sites go away. Shoot, even when Rendo couldn't afford to keep it's magazine in print, I'll bet very few signed up for the $5 per month/3 upload deal to try to help out. You'd pay a minimum $19.99 to $25 a month for the amount of space some of the artists use up here at any other web-hosting company. Anyhow, I got off on a rant - sorry. I think the places to sell fractal art are true art festivals in progressive parts of the country. Like the northeast, west coast and some of the more cosmopolitan cities like Minneapolis/St Paul, Colorado Springs or St Louis in the mid-west. Certainly not in a conservative "coldbed" like Melbourne, Fl where half the people wouldn't know a good piece of abstract art if it whacked them in the face and the other half are so uneducated they think computers are the work of Satan and are out to brand everyone with the mark of the beast - lol. This has been shown by artists like Keith Mackay and Janet Parke. Janet, especially, has sold quite a few works and done well at art festivals. You just have to select the right places and make fractals that don't look like black-lite posters. Jackie L. and Kim(LaylaRose) have done well with fractals that have nice pastel colors that are colors many would like in their homes. Kim got a contract to supply fractal art for a large apartment complex where she lives in '03 or early '04 if I remember right. Jos Leys has been doing well of late and Joe Pressley has ideas that I think will be MEGA successful and he has the backing for them, too. And Linda A's stuff is almost always wall-hanger material, IMHO. As for my art, I've been told and I agree that I'm not sure very much of it is something that someone would actually hang in their livingroom above their nice earth-toned sofa but I've been trying to get myself turned in the right direction. Whiz-bang techno stuff, I reckon, but maybe not great "art". Gonna take a lot of unlearning of some habits I've developed but I hope to get there. I agree with Dirk in his second to last paragraph about traditional art rules. These are the guidlines that have been honed over centuries, if not millenia, of artistic endeavor and for fractallists to ignore or shun them is not something that will help bring our artform into the "mainstream" - which runs, typically, above those sofas I alluded to earlier. These "traditional rules" have come about to describe what most humans find pleasing as to colors, textures and image composition and - hanging above most couches in most livingrooms, are artworks that invariably display these traits. As to what these guidlines are, I haven't the foggiest, but I do think I can spot them when I see them in many artworks here - the ones I usually comment "art print material" or something. Of course that is only one man's OPINION...which is another can of worms - lol! Merry CHRISTmas! Rick