Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Any reviews yet for 'Practical Poser 6' by Denise Tyler?

WinterRose opened this issue on Dec 28, 2005 ยท 19 posts

mickmca posted Wed, 28 December 2005 at 5:13 AM

If Denise T's book is available on Amazon, it must have happened in the last 24 hours, because it was noted yesterday on my Wish List as "Not yet released." I'm checking now, and it's still unavailable. I intend to buy it the moment it appears. My only reservation about the book is the publisher, who inflicted us for years with The Poser #.0 Handbook. But Tyler is a serious Poser user, artist, vendor, and professional writer with books on other subjects to her credit, and I will shocked rather than disappointed if the book is not an excellent beginner's resource. The other book worth having is B. L. Render's Secrets of Figure Creation. It throws you into the deep end of the pool, but doesn't just leave you there to save yourself. While not for beginners, it's not written to exclude them, like so many "expert" books. And the subject (making your own figures) may not sound like one you'll be ready for soon, but trust me, if you once you get a feel for Poser, you'll be thinking about it. Poser 6 Revealed got enough press for mediocrity that I skipped it. The reviews at Amazon, by both Poser newbies and a few experts, make it sound pretty thin. I don't need another book that tells me I can save files with the Save menu... and then walks me through the process. Another excellent but dated book is Richard Schrand's Poser 4 Pro Pack f/x and Design. Worth getting from a remainder bin. Amazon sells it new for $49 (one of the disadvantages of dealing with a store stocked by a computer), but used for $5 - $10. The best way to learn Poser, if you have a broadband connection, is to track down Dr. Geep's tutorials on this site. They are also available as downloads on some other sites. They are huge, graphic-based, and a great combination of humor and knowledge. Enjoy, M