Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: What is your opinion of the list?

Mock opened this issue on Dec 31, 2005 ยท 133 posts

Orio posted Sun, 01 January 2006 at 7:26 PM

What is your opinion of the list?
/ QUOTE

My opinion is articulated and I will try to summarize it in points:

1. My opinion on the whole puritan trend is "3S" that it is sad, sick, and silly.
  1. I think that blaming this on Renderosity is short-sighted. I am sure that Renderosity does not want to censor, they only want to make better business and they follow the main stream trend because it is obviously more productive. The main trend of morals in the USA do not depend, nor is determined by, Renderosity's choices. So if you hav eto blame this on someone, blame it on the current powers-that-be and on those who voted them in the elections. And try to remember this when you will go to vote for the next elections.
    From the profit point of view, it is obviously more lucrative to lose the sales of two open-minded artists than to lose the sales of twenty narrow-minded barbiedolls handlers. This must be a fact otherwise I am sure that Renderosity admins would not have set such restrictive rules.

2. In all cases, Renderosity is a private venture, they can set any rules they want and no one merchant is obliged to like their rules, i.e. if we don't like the rules we are obviously free to go selling somewhere else.

3. I am afraid that these rules will damage some texture artists much. Warezing the poser products is a long time problem and this is going to make it worse, because getting a warezed copy of a texture will be the only way to properly and thoroughly check a texture set before purchase. More and more people will end up getting a warez copy to see what a texture really looks like, and once they have it, not all of them will have the honesty to get back to the store and buy what they already have on their hard disks.
    Also, we will get more and more after-sale returns and chargebacks, because the new rules will in a way entitle people to claim back their money since they had to "buy blind" important parts of the products. And I am afraid that more and more people will use this as a strategy to get the goods for nothing (because again, once it's on their harddisks, whoever grants us merchants that they will delete them after return?). A strategy that may prove useful for those items they could not momentarily get from warez sources.

Message edited on: 01/01/2006 19:29