Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: What is your opinion of the list?

Mock opened this issue on Dec 31, 2005 ยท 133 posts

lmckenzie posted Sun, 01 January 2006 at 8:28 PM

I think the problem is not their desire to win over the .001% of the population who despite being reduced to surfing from the library still have credit cards and money to spend. It's not following some "industry standard" that remains (conveniently) undefined. It's not trying to be a poor man's Daz. The problem is, they started out saying they were on thing and now they are trying to morph into another. They catered to one of the most independent, opinionated, (some would say neurotic :-) groups of folks imaginable and said hey, this is a place for you, grow, be creative, build a "community," just don't burn the place down. Now, they've decided that's incompatible with their perfectly legitimate desire to make money...and people are chafing. The schizophrenic status quo is not viable. The attempt to finesse and drag out this issue has resulted in rules which are increasingly illogical with each new iteration. Capitalist apologias notwithstanding, even business should have some logic beyond 'we can, therefore we do.' Anyone who is going to be surprised when the "industry standards" suddenly require all pablum all the time, should retire to a wicker basket now and spare themselves the trauma. If little old Renderotica can have a separate G rated site, one would think that a "premier" site could manage somehow. The economy, by all reports, even non-Fox News ones, seems to be doing fine. Personally, I think it may be less about the extra bucks and more about asserting power. Not to get political but there seems to be a lot of that going on lately among certain classes. The only possible reason I can see for the herky jerky implementation of the new world order here is that they're not sure the Disney model is going to bring in more geld than it loses and they don't want to have to do too big a climb down. So, consider your purchasing options in close consultation with your values. If such consideration leads you to spend money your elsewhere while continuing to avail yourselves of the excellent free services here then I suppose it's a net loss for someone.

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken