Forum: Photography

Subject: Chrysalis

Syyd opened this issue on Mar 16, 2001 ยท 6 posts

Syyd posted Sat, 17 March 2001 at 8:13 AM

its a 10 x 14. Thank you. In all my work, I would count this as one of my most powerful pieces, and I am not being egotistical, while I was making it, it spoke to me. The first thing that came to mind was Mott the Hoople's "All the Young dudes". And I almost called it that LOL. However, I could not even begin to explain how I did it, but I will try. I took a portrait shot of my Mother, and I monkeyed and monkeyed to get a softness to it. I let it go about six weeks, and then came back to it two days ago. Then, I worked purely on instinct with only photoshop. Layer upon layer filter and filter. I think one of the myths about filters is that we cheat, and I dont see it that way. Why make them, then? In order to achieve the roundness of the head, I actually drew a circle around it, so it would stand out. Color wise, I thought of a dozen different ways to change it but came back to the goldish color. Now one thing I can give as advice in postwork, cause sometimes when you work on instinct you forget every step you took, is this......MAKE LAYERS!!!!!!! I found out that the hard way....Make layer after layer, and erase bits here and there, when you like that version, then what I do, is then save it under a different name, flatten it, and begin again because I may want to then do something to the whole image. Jack is the master at Photoshop, and if I was where he was, I would attend his class. Photoshop is the most amazing program around. Okay, thats a bit of it, thank you for even asking, because I admire your work so much.