Forum: Fractals

Subject: Apoophysis or Art?

TonyYeboah opened this issue on Dec 20, 2005 ยท 96 posts

Timbuk2 posted Tue, 03 January 2006 at 4:22 PM

Many people think that if a computer does it then the person on the computer has little to do with it. My wife is a perfect example of this attitude. She thinks a real artist should have a brush in his/her hand. (nuff said) It is a knee-jerk reaction that is very common, and is likely to be one of the impediments to fractal art becoming mainstream. Exacerbating the problem is that so much of what many fractal artists do are images that look like a computer did them. I'm not critical of that. Heck, I do some of those myself. It's just making it easier for that attitude to linger. I've been busy lately preparing a group of images for printing and framing for hanging in an exhibition coming up in March. I'll be putting up a broad(ish) spectrum of images with the hopes of getting some indication what the public likes and dislikes. It would be nice to sell a few too but I'm not anticipating much. I'll post anything useful that comes out of it. One thing I can say at this point is that the border/frame of an image can have a huge impact on its overall appearance. Some images can be mounted with little or no border and look perfectly fine. But for others, when a carefully chosen border and/or frame is added the result is remarkable. In particular the color of the border can compliment and give the image more impact. Tim