Forum: Fractals

Subject: Apoophysis or Art?

TonyYeboah opened this issue on Dec 20, 2005 ยท 96 posts

Stephi posted Wed, 04 January 2006 at 11:31 PM

I'm the one who made the angry comments you are referring to. So far, to date, I have not heard from any of you except for Panny, about what you're griping about as far as bad art is concerned. It's all generalizations about some things that many of you have obviously discussed among yourselves and no one else is privy to. No details. Do you really think that the people who are doing the art that you object to see themselves as being the ones you're upset about? If so, you are incredibly arrogant and naive. If someone is not improving their art, what is that to you? If someone makes art you consider bad art or as 'not art' - what is that to you? Does everyone who makes art have the same skills, gifts, motivations and intentions? Do you know what motivates each person who posts on Renderosity? As far as I know, there is no established protocol for posting here. A person can, if they so desire, post a total of 365 images per year of absolutely anything they choose. So what? Why are you posting here if the images you see here causes you so much distress? As far as Keith's and Rick's distress over painful experiences with marketing their art, I feel very sad because they are both fine and excellent artists. But the fact is, is that what they have experienced is part and parcel of the arts - no matter whether it is visual art, acting, music, writing - rejection, or at least, the seeming experience of it, goes along with the territory. If seeming rejection knocks the props out of one, then it might be better to make other plans. For one thing, a lot of homework in the form of marketing research, and a business plan is a necessity, an absolute must. When you make the decision to sell your art, you're no longer just an artist - you're then a small business proprietor. Like it or not. People are selling their fractal art. You can too. But first, you have to figure out 'why' people should buy your art, because a nickel-ninety five says you can't do that right now. In the meantime, your scatter-gun typographical approach sprays every artist who posts here. It appears to me that the ones you're really angry with are yourselves. If you feel that posts need to go through a selection process before they are displayed, you need to speak with R-osity management. If you feel that some folks shouldn't post here, you need to speak with management. If you feel that persons who make certain kinds of fractal art shouldn't be allowed to post here, you need to speak with management. Or better yet, maybe the lot of you should pool some resources and start a private gallery that is viewable only by invitation or appointment. There's a creative thought for you. As far as your being angry, Tony, so what? You're always angry. My opinion stands, with one addition. The apology should be for apophysis artists, as well as the entire fractal art community. Stephanie