Forum: Fractals

Subject: Apoophysis or Art?

TonyYeboah opened this issue on Dec 20, 2005 ยท 96 posts

SimonKane posted Thu, 05 January 2006 at 12:46 AM

Hi Stephanie. I don't know how much of what you wrote was directed at me, but I want to clarify what I said in light of your comments, and answer some of your questions. If someone doesn't want to improve their 'art', it's not important to me. Plenty of people make stuff I don't like; that's fine too. Does everyone that makes art have to have the same gifts and skills? Certainly not. The same motivations and intentions? No. Who am I to dictate? Where I feel it becomes my right to comment is when people post their creations to a public site, presumably so that other people (including me) can look at it, and when they allow people to comment on it using a comment box that is provided for us to give "helpful comments for improving this image". You haven't heard from me directly about this because it isn't a huge issue for me: I'm certainly not angry about it. I don't complain about it habitually (if at all). Nor do I discuss this in private with Keith et al. I don't think posts should go through a selection process, precisely because the place is designed for people to give and receive feedback. My niggle is with people that post lots of images, that don't care about improving, and who seemingly are only prepared to accept flattery. Despite the fact that the comments system is supposed to be for giving helpful advice on how to improve the work, most of the comments in the fractal gallery are just of the I-really-like-this kind. There's nothing particularly wrong with that, unless people start jumping on those people that actually use the system to actually give advice or to comment on the general state of what they're seeing posted. And remember, as far as I can see, no-one has been singled out or specifically 'picked on'. No-one is being victimised. If someone posts here, then they do so knowing that I may look at it, and possibly even comment on it. If I think it has little merit, the vast majority of the time I'll pass over it in silence. But surely it's not unreasonable for me to make a general comment about the qualities I think an 'artist' should have every now and again? Anyway, I hope this message isn't coming across as in any way aggressive, because that is not the intention. Best wishes, Simon.