Forum: Photography

Subject: tvernuccio, spot metering example in-house, literally.

TomDart opened this issue on Jan 16, 2006 ยท 13 posts

TomDart posted Tue, 17 January 2006 at 7:22 AM

Lostpatrol, According to the Nikon manual, the spot is approximately 1% of the frame. "Center weighted" metering is different, however, with three choices of diameter and I assume still "averages" the full frame while giving precedence to the area selected as "center weighted". If 1% fits the definition of spot, then the Nikon does spot meter. My handheld Sekonic meter has available reflected light adaptors for 1, 5 and 10, while the one that comes with the meter is 54. If I have done the math correctly, 1 degree is close to 1/2% while 5 degrees is close to 3%. What would you consider needed to define a spot function as "true" spot metering? In a large landscape, for instance, 1 % of frame can be a considerable area of physical landscape while still only 1% of the picture frame being shot. I would think 1% would be adequate and not too large in most scenes I encounter. Sheila, I can tell you how I "generally" meter a scene but not more on the Zone system. Will be back...work calls now. Tom.