Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Denied Commercial Use for 2D Renders?

novelist999 opened this issue on Jan 18, 2006 ยท 65 posts

profotograf posted Wed, 18 January 2006 at 9:31 AM

I love this thread. As an american who teaches english to germans, I have a good grip of what is going on here. There is not only a language barrier issue at work, but a cultural one too. I think the biggest issue here is that a merchant has a set of terms (Allgemeingeschaeftsbedingungen (AGBs)) which isn't understandable in German let alone in English. So confusion galore there. 2nd, it seems that in every part of this thread its clear that a render made from textures purchased, or products purchased and paid for from a store or vendor -- wherever the country -- can be used for renders be they private or commercial. As long as the customer who bought said product isn't selling the original product directly or giving the viewers of the image(s) a way of stealing the purchased product. So as far as I can see from both sides, if the customer buying the product isn't allowed to use it for anything other than personal renders which cannot be shown to anyone -- then I would immediately return the product and demand a refund. As you are buying nothing which you are allowed to use. So why buy it? I spent weeks teaching a German national (who also is a vendor in the Poser community) to finally speak like an American/British Person and properly phrase things in a more relaxed way. This is not how Germans learn English - nor how they speak in real life. Thats what I meant by cultural differences. Most Germans have no command of two very very required tenses in the English language: without these they appear very very arrogant and absolute sometimes. Depending on the level of education and what nationality their English teacher had -- their practical English could be harsh. Therefore making it almost impossible to say what they really want to convey. So if you deal with Germans in the future and want to figure out a few things keep this in mind: 1) Present Simple (everything with Yes I do, No I don't) is the same to them as: 2) Present Continuous/Progressive (using to Be with ING) this is handled in Germany by using Present Simple and adding the words "at the moment" or "now" or "right now". Saying "I am paying for my dinner" is: "I pay for my dinner now" for a German. 3) Present Perfect instead of Present Simple: Germans don't know what Present Perfect is really used for, let alone that feelings are also associated with it. Americans love to say things in Present Perfect, "I have bought a new texture" -- it states that they have bought more than one in the past (maybe) and will most likely buy more in the future. Germans are always finite -- they don't understand the concept above, so their answer is: "I bought a texture." period. so toss away "present perfect and past perfect" and expect a past simple answer almost always, even thought thats not what they mean. So you can see, how an AGB (Terms & Conditions) could really be unreadable to a native speaker once translated from German to English. Hope you enjoyed the little lesson -- maybe it will help you someday when you read another German's writing. Greetings, Antonio (Yes, I live in Germany, speak German and English, and am a certified English Teacher in Germany) smile

Greetings from Germany
ProFotograf

My PoserAddicts