Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: !! AND NOW THE NODES!!! The moment You've been waiting for!

takezo3001 opened this issue on Jan 19, 2006 ยท 84 posts

bagginsbill posted Fri, 20 January 2006 at 4:37 PM

Very good Takezo. I've been working with your material all day, trying to get some of the kinks out of it. Overall, I really want a material that responds intuitively to all lighting conditions. Here are the problems I've addressed. I will post renders in a second. 1) The skin node is wierd. I tested it by itself plugged into the translucent input. It produces NEGATIVE light at times, which is really messed up. It ends up adding red in some areas and REMOVING red (leaving the skin blue) in others. So I dropped it. BTW: If you keep it, part of the problem with it is the ambient should be 0. 2) The fastscatter blows up with IBL. I fixed this by subtracting a diffuse node from it. This way, it can only contribute where the skin is otherwise dark. Sometimes this produces negative light, but I fed that into a "Max of 0" so it is always positive. 3) The blinn was too strong. 4) The fastscatter is good for lighting the ears from behind, but not good for doing front-side scattering. Face_off uses a normal node to calculate FS SSS based on the position of your key light. It works well, but is a pain because moving the light requires adjusting the material. I found a better way - which is to use a diffuse node to index a color map node to emphasize red in varying amounts based on the overall lights, not just a single light. This means it works with IBL too. My hat is still off to you - putting the fastscatter into the translucent has made it work right. I'm still not convinced of the ray-traced shadow problem. So far, all the effects I want are suitably produced with depth map shadows. On problem still exists for me. I'll post a render showing it later.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)