Forum: Photoshop

Subject: Industry standards for resolution, printable color & professional file construc

duskangel1 opened this issue on Feb 28, 2006 ยท 3 posts

Mikewave posted Tue, 28 February 2006 at 8:01 PM

I can not answer all your questions, give it some time and someone else will, I'm sure of it. In the mean while, here's what I can tell u; 'Does this mean in Photoshop when I chose file NEW and fill in my width/height, I chose CMYK Color for the mode and should make resolution 300 pixels/inch ? or is there some other way to do this?' CMYK (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black-using 'B' would make things confusing since B stands for Blue, so K seamed obvious, don't ask why) is what they use for printing indeed. I often start of in RGB (Red, Green and Blue-screen colors) becouse it offers more freedom, especialy in Illustrator. You can always adjust the color mode afterwards in Image; Mode; CMYK. 300 pixels per inch (or dots per inch) is like standard for printing. You can sometimes get away with 150dpi, but only if your file is very, very large with 300dpi. Again, this can be adjusted afterwards in Image; Image Size. 'When saving my document as a TFF I get option of Byte Order of IBM PC or Macintosh. I chose IBM PC ...but should I check off LZW Compression ? I'm not sure what is for.' A TIFF saved in Mac (Motorola/IBM) order should open more quickly on the Mac.?A PC byteordered file will need to be byteswapped first which is an extra step.?Similarly if you save a TIFF in PC byte order on the Mac it will require more work than if you chose Mac byte order. So there isn't that much of a difference. LZW (Lempel-Zif-Welch) is used as a Giff-compression. Editing your file in a program like Imageready will make this option usefull. If you don't want to make 'giffing' easier, just leave it alone... 'I usually save my drawings as jpgs and psd file to preserve all layers if I want to go back and change something. I noticed when I saved as TIFF it flattened all my layers. Maybe I did something wrong?' When saving as tiff you can check Layers (under Alpha Channels), that way you keep your Layers. Hope you get the rest of your questions answerd, Mike

Coming soon