Forum: Fractals

Subject: A plea...

MakinMagic opened this issue on Mar 17, 2006 ยท 55 posts

Rykk posted Sat, 18 March 2006 at 3:53 PM

As to "constructive critique", I think one reason it doesn't happen very often - aside from the "thin-skinned" artist and "social" stuff - is that most of us probably don't feel we are qualified to give an actual and learned critique of what we see here. Myself, I don't know squat about art theory (and I'm sure sometimes it shows! lol) other than what I may have learned a million lightyears ago in jr. high art class. I can only give an "opinion", which is basically just whether I "like" the colors or not and nothing to do with whether they are "correct" per a formula. I suppose the "correctness" of the colors might subconsciously be the reason I "like" them since the "rules" for colors and composition in art have been honed over centuries to explain why most humans find something "attractive" or not. If I don't find the image "attractive", then I just don't say anything at all because there is no quantifiable "reason" why I don't like it - I just don't. And "I don't like this" isn't very constructive. The only things I feel maybe a bit qualified to critique or help with might be technique issues like how to make a better mask or "complete" the gradient that falls on a shape by getting rid of the little black spot in the middle of a highlight. Technical stuff. But, other than that, I reckon I just either like a piece or I don't - just because.... Rick