Forum: Fractals

Subject: A plea...

MakinMagic opened this issue on Mar 17, 2006 ยท 55 posts

Rykk posted Thu, 23 March 2006 at 9:56 AM

You'll see a big difference between the way images look on a flat LCD monitor and a CRT type monitor. I'm currently working at work on tablet type computers with LCD monitors, so I've learned a little more tech stuff about them and actually dug around inside the displays. The problem is that the liquid crystal display will not light up until a flourescent white "backlight" is played across it from the sides. Since this light is white, all colors - especially black - will appear more washed out than a CRT monitor. The "color gamut" is lower on an LCD, too. It can show fewer of the "16 million" colors than a CRT. The colors on a CRT are richer because each pixel is made up of a discrete mix of red, green and blue light. An lcd "pixel" can only be either red, green or blue rather than a mix. This is similar to guitar amps - analog vacuum tube amps have that rich, "brown" sound you can't get from a solid-state amp, even to this day. But all monitors will look slightly different from each other and that's why the monitor calibration stuff is needed so that a printer "knows" how to print the colors. I HAVE found that, brightness-wise, an LCD is closer to what a printer prints, probably due to the fact that printers also have a limited color gamut. Or maybe my home CRT monitor is just too old and wimpy to light up as bright anymore. To emulate the look of my CRT monitor, I've had to crank the brightness of the LCD monitor on my desk at work all the way down to "8%" and the red, green and blue to like 65%, 60% and 55% to approximate what they are "supposed" to look like. CRT's are getting rare and I will probably have to search out a "high-end" one online somewhere because all the ones they have at Best Buy are the cruddiest el-cheapo things I've ever seen and I wouldn't let my dog use one - lol Rick