Forum: Photography

Subject: Ever post a Gallery Image then have second thoughts?

TomDart opened this issue on Mar 23, 2006 ยท 17 posts

Margana posted Fri, 24 March 2006 at 11:21 AM

Thanks Tofi.That's very sweet to say to everyone...and encouraging! As to your question,Tom:I never really know what to post...I guess I'm a bit like Simon that way. When I first started here,I just posted whatever I had in my files that I liked.I thought,hey,this is okay,I'll upload it.I had no concerns about quality,resolution,etc...just posted for fun.But as more people started to look at my uploads,and I started to see such wonderful work here,I became choosier and thought more carefully about what I was possibly 'wasting' people's time with.I began to feel a sense of responsibility,to show my very best efforts only...otherwise,I didn't feel I deserved to ask for comments...The plus side to this,is that now my gallery shows some improvement as time passes. But there came a downside with it.As I improved,and learned more and more what constitutes a good image,I got to the point where my goals were higher than my actual skills.Most things didn't look 'good enough' because I wanted them to be 'perfect',something I realise is unreasonable to expect at my level.So it became a catch22.I began to post less frequently...and then when I did,questioned whether almost anything was 'good' enough.I would say I am actually 'happy' with about 30 % of whatever I post,and truly confident about almost none...I almost always think I could have done better... :^( Therefore,the forum has been wonderful for me.There have been a few occasions where I've been asked why that image I uploaded isn't in my gallery,and it's usually because I thought it wasn't good enough.So when I hear that,I at least realise maybe I was wrong about that one.It helps me 'see things' more clearly to be here,to get that kind of feedback. Anyway,sorry for the loooooong ramble.You just have happened upon a big issue for me,with this...Heck!I even have a pic in my gallery called 'Performance Anxiety' talking about this very thing! Okay,lol,I'll be quiet now! ;^D

Marlene <")

Marlene S. Piskin Photography
My Blog

"A new study shows that licking the sweat off a frog can cure depression. The down side is, the minute you stop licking, the frog gets depressed again." - Jay Leno