Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: .jpg versus .tif -- Which would you purchase?

muralist opened this issue on Mar 31, 2006 ยท 37 posts

pleonastic posted Fri, 31 March 2006 at 11:46 PM

nod; those are good points (and yes, it is an interesting subject :). i wasn't thinking from a merchant's point of view, but only from my own -- i don't mind a runtime full of tifs because i weed my runtime judiciously, and throw out any texture i don't use because i don't care to save 35 different colours of the very same hair texture; the material room can take care of that. same with lip colours and all that makeup jazz; i toss most of those. i also know how much texture i need at what size -- if i am rendering an item that takes up 200 pixels onscreen, i sure as heck don't need a 4000x4000 texture.

i beg to differ just a smidgen with the idea that larger textures can safely be compressed at a lower quality. while that's mostly true, it also depends on how the texture will be used -- i want hi-res, hi-quality faces but i don't care that much about props -- i sometimes resample those down myself for memory reasons, or create a much smaller, well-tiling texture.

but i am probably not representative in that regard, and you'd be better off ignoring my preference for tifs. :) maybe you could advertise that you are willing to send tifs if somebody needs them for closeup work; some people do that and i appreciate it a lot. and please, if you sell jpgs, mention what compression level you have used.