Thu, Sep 26, 11:21 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 26 4:27 pm)

Subject: What cpu/motherboard for Vue ???

kenmo ( ) posted Tue, 04 April 2006 at 9:15 AM · edited Wed, 25 September 2024 at 12:02 PM

Currently have three computers at home... All are AMDs with MSI mobos that I've assembled... Of course my higher end computer I use for my 2D/3D stuff...It currently is an AMD XP 2500 (Barton) with 1 gig of memory... Right now there two candidates of cpu/mobos within my budget... One is the AMD A64 3200 the other is the Pentium D 805... The A64 has a faster clock speed but the D 805 is dual core... I also realize I may have to replace my ram (DDR) and video card (AGP)... Any thoughts??? I may post this in the Paint Shop and Vue forums as those are the packages I mostly use... Cheers Ken

DigitalShinobi ( ) posted Tue, 04 April 2006 at 11:50 AM

I've been a tek for a while, I recommend to my customers to go with AMD all the time, I would use no other, In my opinion and experience the are the superior chip. My rig is a MSI mobo, 1 gig DDR 400, 1 x 80GB Maxtor SATA, 1 x 80GB Maxtor ATA & 256MB PCI Express Radeon X550 Video Card, AMD 64 Sempron 1.81GHz CPU..but I also increase my paging file on both hard drives to sqeeeeeeza a bit extra virtual ram ;) but to be honest MSI mobo & AMD chip is what I would go for if I were in your predicament ;) Hope this helps White Rabbit

LCBoliou ( ) posted Wed, 05 April 2006 at 1:00 AM

I suggest an AMD X2 core based PC -- about an X2 4200. It costs about the same as the lower-end Intel based dual core PCs, but is about 25% faster in rendering speed. BTW, I'm presently using 2 Intel based 830 dual core PCs for my render farm -- I don't have any particular biases (I got a good deal on a couple of Gateway refurbs).

kenmo ( ) posted Wed, 05 April 2006 at 7:23 AM

The AMD X2 3800 costs about $390.00 (Canadian) while I can get the Intel Pentium D 805 for under $200.00... My last Intel was a P166... Currrenly all three of my rigs are AMD powered. But it appears Intel is getting aggressive with their lowerend dual cores... P D805 - presently on sale for $149.00 (Canadian) http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=17710&vpn=BX80551PE2666FN%20&manufacture=Intel AMD X2 3800 - $390.00 Canadian http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=15708&vpn=ADA3800BVBOX&manufacture=AMD

kenmo ( ) posted Wed, 05 April 2006 at 7:23 AM

Also - does Vue take advantage of dual core cpus???

Vertecles ( ) posted Wed, 05 April 2006 at 9:13 AM

Quote - "Also - does Vue take advantage of dual core cpus???"

Yes it does. Vue5 IS multithreaded. Multicore or SMP (multi-CPU) is definately what you should be looking for. The AMD's are currently the "better" chip for sure.

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

Phoul ( ) posted Wed, 05 April 2006 at 11:18 AM · edited Wed, 05 April 2006 at 11:19 AM

Attached Link: At Hardware.FR

I have an AMD 64 x 2 3800 since few weeks. I am very happy with it. Today the 5th new great pages about that issue: http://www.hardware.fr/articles/617-6/intel-core-duo-debarque-desktop.html AMD dual core is the best (power/price) for Vue 5 Infinite for now.

Andrewe_66 ( ) posted Wed, 05 April 2006 at 12:34 PM

Thats funny I just built a dual core AMD for a friend, so just to see how it compared against my Intel 3.8 I ran the same scene on both machines. Claims of 25% are way off more like 2%, I then ran some scenes that take a couple of hours to generate. This is where the Intel machine came out on top it won by a good 5%, dont always believe the hype.

kenmo ( ) posted Thu, 06 April 2006 at 5:18 AM

Quote - "Thats funny I just built a dual core AMD for a friend, so just to see how it compared against my Intel 3.8 I ran the same scene on both machines. Claims of 25% are way off more like 2%, I then ran some scenes that take a couple of hours to generate. This is where the Intel machine came out on top it won by a good 5%, dont always believe the hype."

Wow... I find that a little surprising...

andytw ( ) posted Sat, 08 April 2006 at 4:13 PM

Attached Link: Low price dual cores

It's worth reading the linked test, particularly with reference to performance vs. cost and power consumption.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.