Forum: Photography

Subject: Macro lens

tofi opened this issue on Apr 22, 2006 · 36 posts

Simon_P posted Mon, 24 April 2006 at 7:16 PM

First I would say that all except #3 seem to be well focused and sharp.

As pointed out they are more close up shots than macro.

My take (excuse the pun) on this topic is this:

Close up photography is more to do with an image of a whole subject possibly with some nice background and foreground blur to bring attention to the main subject.

Macro photography is more about picking out a small detail in a subject end even to the point of extreme close up.

I took the liberty of shooting (admittedly not an award winning) shot of what is IMO what macro is all about, taking my trusty dictionary and my scabby old pen, what you have is very little in focus, the words “pen friend” and the ball of the pen tip and that’s about it.

OK I don’t know if this sort of thing is possible with the camera and attachments that you have, but for the sake of info, this was shot with a canon DSLR 100mm dedicated macro lens on a 65mm extension tube at f4.

The same applies if shooting bug macros although you may want a slightly larger DOF.

Either way you really need to have the camera on a tripod or some sort of firm support.

Very nice shots you have made anyway and I am sure you will have fun experimenting with this style of photography.

Simon

They wouldn’t have made the cane if you weren’t meant to break the rules