Forum: Vue

Subject: Vue and its problems

Andrewe_66 opened this issue on Apr 22, 2006 · 67 posts

visionality posted Thu, 27 April 2006 at 7:41 AM

Quote - You may find Vue has old legacy code that can't be removed as it breaks the program. This isn't unusual in the industry as many old 3D programs suffer the same problem, be it 3DS Max, Maya etc.

Sorry, but I completely disagree. Crashes in V5I are not caused by "old legacy code that can't be removed". Most crashes are caused by the program trying to do too much things at the same time(background threading plus new changes).  Nothing would be easier than putting a short-term stop to the program when an user is bringing it to its limits. And what concerns other 3d programs: I can't say anything about Maya, but I've been knowing 3ds max since version R3 and comparing its stability with Vue can only be a joke. (Which, of course, it should be because there must be a reason while one program costs ten times more than another.)

If you want to compare Vue's stability with other programs, you have to look at similar applications on the market, e.g. Bryce. And in that case, Vue has very bad cards. I used Bryce for about five years before I moved on to Vue and I can't remember Bryce crashing just once (while I had at least three Vue crashes at my first day).

All this being said, I still prefer Vue to Bryce because stability is only one argument when working with a 3d program and there are more than enough plusses that outweight this one (with some tricks and experience avoidable) minus.