Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: V3 Multiple Clothing Characters into one Character?

dev01 opened this issue on Apr 27, 2006 · 7 posts

zukeprime posted Fri, 28 April 2006 at 4:15 AM

Sure you can...redundancies in body parts aren't a problem.

Just load all the clothing items that you want to turn into a single character into a scene.  Make sure everything is zeroed.  To be extra careful, load a zeroed (and IK off!) V3 in there as well to make sure your clothes are fitting properly.  You can conform the clothes if you wish, but there shouldn't be a need if everything is zeroed.

If the clothes aren't fitting properly in the legs, then your V3 probably isn't zeroed with IK off. 

If the clothes aren't fitting properly in the arms with V3 zeroed then the clothes maker probably designed the clothes that way.  In that case try conforming the clothes to a zeroed (!!!!) V3.

NOTE:  In case it isn't obvious, to zero a character do the following:

1.  IK off:  Figure-->Use Inverse Kinematics-->deselect all items
2.  Zero Figure:  Window-->Joint Editor-->Zero Figure (at the bottom).  Make sure a body part is selected (any will do).

Once you've loaded everything, and it looks good in the zeroed configuration, you need to export the clothes to an .obj file. 

Select File-->Export-->Wavefront OBJ

Select Single Frame

Select the clothing items you wish to turn into a single character.  If V3 is still in the scene, make sure she is DESELECTED.  I start by deselecting UNIVERSE, which deselects everything.  Then I select the clothing items I wish to use.  Be careful here, some clothing items use hidden geometries to help with fitting.  I always select every item of the clothes I wish to export, since I'll cannibalize the original CR2's and don't want problems with missing bits.  Just select the top level of the hierarchy of each item you wish to export.

NOTE:  In P6 you'll have to deselect all those irritating "Goal of Center" thingies...they are actual geometries that will be exported unless you're careful.

When finished hit OK...a new dialogue will pop up for export options.  I deselect everything except "Include Body Part names in Polygon Groups".  This will preserve the groupings in your new .obj file.

I normally save the file into the original directory.  For example, many clothes makers will (irritatingly) create seperate left and right boots for your characters.  I like a single CR2 file with both boots in it, so I'll use this procedure.  When I save my new .obj, I'll save it into the same Geometry folder as the orginal clothing items, to make CR2 hacking easier later.

In UV Mapper you can check to make sure your new obj has proper groupings.  If the .obj file doesn't have any groups, or if they're named strangely (i.e. not hip, chest, rCollar, etc.) then you've exported improperly and need to start over.

Once that's done, now you need to create a CR2 to handle the new figure.  I usually start with the clothes makers original CR2, probably something with as many body parts as possible...like a main clothing item.

CR2 editing is really the hardest part.  If you want, you can normally start with the V3 catsuit or V3 blank to give you a good starting point...but I typically will cannibalize the clothes makers original CR2's as a starting point.

Whew...I'm beat.  Start with this...we can work on CR2 editing if there aren't any questions up to this point.