Forum: The MarketPlace Wishing Well

Subject: Is Poser dead?

josema8 opened this issue on Apr 29, 2006 ยท 38 posts

arcady posted Sat, 29 April 2006 at 8:44 PM

The wording and grammar are strange and take a few reads to get... What I don't get are the people who feel a need to buy so-called 'characters' for a figure. Other than two or three texture maps and some morph targets, you don't need anything for the character itself. The dials in Poser are there for a reason - turn them. Take a texture map, apply a color to it and you have a new skin tone. Paste some clipart over it in Photoshop and you've got tattoos. etc... So what I just don't get are the customers who keep buying these things. I can understand buying new models - a new outfit, a new figure, a set prop, or whatever. That takes a lot of work to make. But poses, morph dial settings (really, why is it worth $5 for you to set 'AsianHead' to .732 and call it a character rather than for me to just type that value in...), and skin textures just don't add up for me. I figure the purpose of Poser is for making these very kinds of things. If you need to buy them, why not buy finished art? But to each their own I guess. Also... now that Hexagon is only $32 through May, maybe we'll see a surge of things hitting freestuff - model wise. More of the 'basic items' category of things.

Truth has no value without backing by unfounded belief.
Renderosity Gallery