Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: (OT)---W32/Polip virus??? layman explanation needed please........

bnetta opened this issue on Apr 30, 2006 · 38 posts

Angelshigh posted Mon, 01 May 2006 at 3:48 AM

Quote - > Quote - From what I have been told I believe you have to be using a P2P programe and downloading pirated stuff in order to get this particular virus.

MAYBE the first person who got this virus had to. But then... MSN Instant Messenger, Windows Messenger, AOL Chat, BitTorrent - these are all forms of P2P as well. Further. Once it is on a machine, if you take an exe off that machine you get it too. For example, let us say 'person X' has the virus and makes a new item for Poser that they sell or give away through a website. they package that item as an exe. Everybody who gets that item gets the virus. Person Y has never done anything with their brand new PC save for turn it on, go on the net, and buy that item for Poser. Person Y gets the virus. Think of it this way: The first person who ever got AIDS more than likely got it by being too frisky with a monkey. But today, it is everywhere and you don't need any monkeys to transmit it nor recieve it (Apologies for seeming humor in something totally not humorous - I couldn't think of a better way to illustrate this).

Thanks I was not aware that you could get the virus this way - I will be a lot more careful as I have been downloading freebies etc.

BTW I was not accusing anyone - just quoting from the link the original poster provided.