Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Cybermen: Need one!

thefixer opened this issue on May 13, 2006 · 31 posts

Redfern posted Mon, 15 May 2006 at 6:09 PM

Quote - what'd be the legalities of building something very much like that? does the BBC hold the copyright for these? have they been asses about free contributions like that in the past, or are they cool with it? if nobody knows, i'll hunt down a contact person to ask, but here's hoping somebody else has done that already, what with the plethora of daleks and tardises available.

When you say "...building something...", do you mean a physical costume or prop?  Fans have constructed costumes for conventions and fan films with little to no interference from the BBC (as far as I know) as long as they weren't promoted as the genuine article or sold.  Or do you mean a digital mesh?  As long as you keep a subdued profile and don't try to sell it, you shouldn't have any problem.  The BBC has yet to contact me with a "cease and desist" order for the console and Davros chair I offer.  (If they ever do, I will certainly comply and remove my items from distribution.)

Yes, the BBC owns the copyrights and trademark for the Cybermen in partnership with the Kit Pedler estate, the late writer who envisioned them for their debur serial "The Tenth Planet".  A similar arrangement exists with the Daleks (which almost resulted in their exclusion from the new series because the Terry Nation estate supposedly held out for more revenue).

Sincerely,

Bill

Tempt the Hand of Fate and it'll give you the "finger"!