Forum: Fractals

Subject: Fractals and spirituality.

peapodgrrl opened this issue on May 14, 2006 · 12 posts

Rykk posted Tue, 23 May 2006 at 11:47 AM

Sure can! That's a good description of how it feels to be in the groove when creating a "good" new piece. Nothing else matters of even registers much to your consciousness in the rare - for me anyway - occasions when a fractal grabs you by the short hairs.

Hmmm...."piece"...hope that doesn't sound pretentious, I don't mean to be. It's just that fractals and digi-art are always called "images" as if they aren't "real" and can exist only as ethereal wraiths on pc monitors. Much better to dispense with the descriptor, "image", and free our stuff out of those confining, glowing boxes and onto walls where they belong with the other "works" and "pieces" of art, eh?

"It is the conviction that nothing mysterious can ever happen in our everyday life that has destroyed the joy of abstract thought."  ----- Great quote! I've always wondered why some people can look at abstract art and feel, "whoa, cool", while others might look at the same piece and go, "whuzzat 'spose ta be"? - Looks like a pickem up trukk". Abstract art many times isn't supposed to be ANYTHING neccessarily and is more a "vibe" that one feels. I once had a thought - and this might seem a bit over the top - that, since we maybe are like conduits of God's creativity, that abstract art that looks like nothing ever seen in life might be a more direct expression of His boundless and incomprehensible imagination inspired in the folks who make such art. And the ability to "feel" that type of art is a great and sometimes rare thing. Yeah, maybe I shouldn't have listened so much to the philosphy major roomie I had in school for a while - dude was 28(!!) and on his 5th major without ever finishing a degree - lol. "Professional student" with doting parents, I guess.

I've thought, too, about what an odd couple of bedfellows art and mathematics make. The overwhelming majority of engineer types I've known really didn't have a great appreciation of art, especially "traditional". Not all that creative in the "humanities" sense of the word. Though, the more innovative, "sharper" ones seem to get off on fractals a lot more than seascapes or paintings of flowers. Almost as if, subliminally, the algorithms "speak" to them and they sense "something" in the eddy and flow of algorithms in a fractal image. It was one of the "scientist" or "top"  engineers at the job I had in the 80's and 90's that first introduced me to fractals by bringing a cobbled together computer into the lab and setting it about the week and a half (really!) task of drawing this neat new math he read about called the "Mandelbrot set".

Sheesh, I doth wax seriously philosophical....and wane dangerously over my lunch break! lol

c-ya!

Rick