Forum: Bryce

Subject: Tried something a little different C&C please

chohole opened this issue on Jun 07, 2006 · 13 posts

diolma posted Wed, 07 June 2006 at 3:51 PM

I didn't really want to comment ('cos I'm not really qualified to do so), but I have a problem with this pic that has nothing to do with textures, but with composition. There's something about the composition that grates on me, but I've not really been able to pin it down so far.

My thoughts so far have been:

"There's the leopard, with it's wondrous eye (obvious centre of focus), staring out of the picture at ... errm.. something or other...errm..  backtrack."

"There's the girl (fairy?), errm slap-bang in the middle, also looking out of the picture, ... errm.. partially eclipsed by a leopard who is looking out of the picture at....."

At this point I stopped looking before I became schizophrenic (no offense intended to any schizophrencs watching this thread..)

Sorry, but IMHO, it doesn't quite work for me.I can't understand what the picture is supposed to portray, and my eye wanders all over the place.

The leopard leads the eye in from the left; then there's a conflict. Out of the scene, following the leopard's eye-sight? Or up/down to view the girl, which also ends up leading the eye out of the scene.

I'm no master of composition (I'm not even particularly good at at), but would hesitantly try offering the following suggestion (and a bit of  hassle it would be..):

Try moving the girl/fairy to the right a bit, so she's a bit more distanced form the leopard. Then change the pose of the girl (Yeah, I know, big hassle, having to go back to Poser and all that) and change her pose so that she's looking much more toward's the leopard's head.....

Of course, the BIG problem with my idea is that it probably won't work, and then you've wasted several hours to gain no advantage:-((

But I had to suggest it, none-the-less...

Cheers,
Diolma

(Oh, and BTW, yes it looks a LOT better in sepia..).. :-))