Forum: Vue

Subject: anyone else hate the Advanced Function Editor?

JoeBlack opened this issue on Jun 07, 2006 · 20 posts

jc posted Fri, 09 June 2006 at 11:29 AM

I think part of the reason it resonates with me is that i spent years as an electronics hobbyist and love schematic diagrams. Dragging components around and plugging them together is fun and familiar - and schematics are a powerful metaphor.

But to really get the most out of the Function Editor, you have to have some background in math and in math applied to computer graphics. Maybe the Function Editor and Renderer are the "Not-so-easy-but-more-professional" parts of Vue?

Which means the pros can get a lot out of them, the amateurs can leave them alone and just use the easier default menu choices and the amateur  wannabepros can use the help + the pro tools + the professional terms + their own iniative + the web, to learn the pro concepts. Because of this, i'm glad e-on is using the pro industry terminolgy and not trying to "dumb-it-down" by substituting idealized labels.

I want to learn the real thing. If i have to translate some simplistic terminology and concepts into the real industry jargon, it just makes it harder to learn.

In any case, e-on has to use standardized terminology - that's what standardization is for. Would you create a new automobile and invent your own terms for all the parts? "No, that's NOT a steering wheel - it's our patented 'BX Directional Control Yoke'".