Forum: Community Center

Subject: Image Resizing is really NOT a good idea

SeanE opened this issue on Jun 14, 2006 · 183 posts

TallPockets posted Sun, 18 June 2006 at 5:42 AM

Williamsn: Thanks for the comments. Much appreciated. As I said earlier, most here I spoke with assumed the server issue to be the problem for the lack of speed upon the intial start up on the site changeover. The casual user associates server with a delivery system and blames it/them when this site runs slow. When other, normally working site funtions/areas don't operate, it is usually attributed by most to something else.

I agree with your above statement, there are times when things ''can't be done". However, I do find a distinction when someone tells me that and between someone telling me, "We won't change it". I hope that makes sense. Can't and won't, to me, are two different words. In my past business dealings, I always made sure my customers knew which I was actually saying and meaning.

I am assuming you are a customer in life as well. When I call my direct tv customer service rep, I always get answers from them. Even if I don't like what they tell me. But, they do answer all mine and anyone else's questions when they call. When I ran businesses, I always gave my customers answers to their questions. Even the old, grumpy customers (wink).

I know many people have put long hours into this wonderful site. As do many superb artists who put in many long hours and great sums of money into their personal work. It takes each to make a great site. In my previous businesses, management needed employees and customers and vice versa. Thus, my ongoing frustration, and what I see is the same from your wonderful members here for some time, as to the disconnect, at times, between both sides.

One employee once gave me the ultimate backdoor compliment. He said, "You always treat everyone the same, you suck". WINK. He went on to tell me that I always answered their questions and explained things to them so they were understandable whether they agreed with me or not.

I think this site needs one person who can be the spokesperson for this wonderful site on forum issues. If subjects are brought up not in the expertise of this person, they could ask others in various areas at this site for explanations and then pass them on to the masses. Such as is done in any other business. Then, everyone would know who is speaking for this wonderful site in finality.

I was also taught by my dear, late father that one has to earn respect from someone to get it back in return. It was not a right or to be expected without fair return as such.

I also learned in business that it was ok to admit, "I don't know but I will check into it and get back to you with an answer or find someone who can" and then follow up on it to make sure answers were given in appropriate time frames. I also learned to say, "I messed up" when I messed up. LOL.  Believe me, I said that more times than I cared for. But, for me, I found it to be the most important thing to building trust between myself and employees. For the record, I was an employee many years before all this. Which is why I tried my hardest to never forget all the griping I did as an employee about the management, when entered I into management. WINK.

Not of all of the members here know 'computer speak'. So, talk to me like a third grader on his first computer when dealing with 'technical' issues. Those with computer programming backgrounds can just smile as they read.  Just remember, just because one does not know how to bake a cake from scratch, however, does not mean that one cannot tell a good one from a bad one. WINK.

I think if the members here feel their site managers truly listen to them and act upon what most seem important issues, you will go a long way to establishing what you and all here want. THE best site.

Blessings to you and yours this Sunday,

My best, TallPockets.