Forum: Community Center

Subject: Image Resizing is really NOT a good idea

SeanE opened this issue on Jun 14, 2006 · 183 posts

cliff-dweller posted Mon, 19 June 2006 at 11:48 AM

drawbridgep wrote:

Quote - Not sure if it's been mentioned, but having a thumbnail, an intermediate and the full size image are exactly the same way that CGTalk and DAZ3d display their galleries.    I don't think there was big fuss about that, mainly becasue that's the way it always was. 

Rendorosity has had over 1.2 million images posted by members...DAZ or CGTalk a tiny fraction of that total. There are many reasons why Renderosity had become the place to showcase artwork online, but none of those reasons include the resizing of artists' work. The ease of use the old gallery format had made browsing the galleries a fun and efficient process. Adding extra clicks to accomplish what could be done so easily before just makes no sense. The reality is that many viewers will never click through to the artist's original composition, and that means that the current set-up hinders the achievement of the gallery's mission...to showcase artwork!

We're not simply against any change, and very few people have suggested bringing back the old setup. My initial reaction to the new layout was very positive, but when I found that the artwork (as many people view it) was an altered version, that fact trumped everything else...it's just wrong for a site dedicated to artwork to do such a thing.

Check out my full gallery at Cliff-Dweller Artworks