Forum: Community Center

Subject: Information on the resizing images issue....

StaceyG opened this issue on Jun 19, 2006 · 148 posts

Acadia posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 12:50 AM

Quote - in other words... you've not listened at all.
fine. please don't lie to us by saying 'we listen' in future. I for one can't stand that.

They haven't listened????!!  That's not the impression I got from Stacey's message.

People complained that the image was automatically resized and was poor quality not reflecting the way the artist wanted their image viewed:

The following change is being made to accommodate that:

Quote - On upload, a transitionally-resized image will be created to supplement the image uploaded by the artist. This will be a high-quality image resized by our software, not by your browser. Also on upload, the artist will have the choice to choose how this image initially displays: full-size or resized.

What I get from that is now  the artist has a choice if their image is resized or not. Plus if they pick "resize", the image is of higher quality than it was when resized before.

Now, some people like myself can't set their resolution to more than 1024x768 so viewing really large images is an impossibility. I tried to view one that was 2500x2500 and I had to scroll up and down and left to right and couldn't get a feel for the image period. The only way I could see the whole image was by looking at the thumbnail which was supplied.  Was that the way the artist wanted their image viewed? I doubt it.

Here is the change for that:

Quote - Additionally, viewers will have the ability to choose between these three options: “Always show resized images regardless of artist preference”, “Show images according to artist preference”, “Always show full-sized images regardless of artist preference”. As is present already, viewers will be able to click on an image and view it full-sized.

So now the viewer, such as myself, who can't view really big images without having to scroll and scroll, will have the option to set our preferences  to view an image in a high quality reduced size so that we won't have to scroll up and down and left and right and we too will be able to view the picture as a whole image instead of an eyeball, an ear, a nose, a foot etc.  If we want to look at it full size and scroll up and down and left and right (which doesn't really allow you to see a picture as it's intended), then we can do so by clicking the image.

How you can say that they aren't listening is beyond me.  We all got what we wanted. And it's a perfectly reasonable work around for everyone.

As I said, I would hope that the artist wants people to look at their image as a whole, and not as bits and pieces that appear on the screen because it is grossly larger than what our monitors can display.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi