Forum: Community Center

Subject: Sexist programmers ???

gillbrooks opened this issue on Jun 22, 2006 · 65 posts

Shardz posted Thu, 22 June 2006 at 7:39 PM

I believe williamsn is technically correct in his statement and is grammatically accurate, although not very popular these days at all. A few years ago there was a feminist group who tried to get the King James version of the Bible changed as it references humankind with the word  "man". Apparently that is insulting and not politically correct these days and should be therefore referenced as "peoplekind" instead. (Oh, brother).

This might be an archaic reference, but we are talking about a day and age where the word "God" has been omitted from the the Pledge of Allegiance and the term "In God We Trust" is removed from our currency. Here in San Diego, they are tearing down an old historic monument of a massive cross on a hill that has been there forever. Why? It's not constitutional now apparently. Sometimes I feel America is too free and even the most remotely idiotic crusade will be considered.

I haven't been to a grammer class in quite a few years, and there may have been political updates since then, but I was taught the same as williamsn elaborates. Perhaps it's not suitable for this site, though, which does strive for individualism and recognition.