Forum: Community Center

Subject: Sexist programmers ???

gillbrooks opened this issue on Jun 22, 2006 ยท 65 posts

williamsn posted Sun, 25 June 2006 at 10:35 PM

Lol I never said they didn't get to have fun 😉, it's just that a human and a vulcan weren't capable of procreating naturally and creating a healthy child. The scientists had to pick and choose which life systems of each species could interoperate together and put those together genetically. For example, it was determined that it was much easier for human organs to adapt to copper-based blood than it was for vulcan organs to adapt to iron-based blood, so they decided to use the vulcan circulatory system when designing Spock. Spock, by the way, was just as much of a political event as he was a personal event for his parents, especially since his father, Sarek, was the vulcan ambassador to the Federation and his mother, Sarah, one of the Federation ambassadors to the Vulcan Civilization. That's why it was so important for Spock to be as much human as vulcan physiologically and to survive a full, healthy life. Contrary to popular belief, most vulcans really didn't like the Federation at all. They didn't like their emotions or their tendency to commercialize and militarize their explorations. However, the Federation was an important ally in the fight to keep the Klingon and Romulan Empires (the Romulans, of course, being just an emotional and rebelious spinoff of the Vulcans) from turning the entire galazy into a militarized empire. Spock was an important political move in forging the alliance between the Vulcans and the Federation. It wasn't until things really came to a head with the Borg, however, that the Vulcans and Federation were forced to truly stand together militarily, and began to appreciate each other more. Now did I just prove myself as a nerd or what? Guess that's what I get for reading all those Trekkie books :tt2: N

-Nicholas