Forum: Community Center

Subject: Sexist programmers ???

gillbrooks opened this issue on Jun 22, 2006 · 65 posts

PJF posted Mon, 26 June 2006 at 2:53 PM

Quote - Of course, I've seen all of the classic Trek episodes...
...And I saw about 20 minutes of the 1st Voyager pilot episode.  It was SO self-consciously politically correct that I lost interest immediately.  And pretty much abandoned the Star Trek mythos as a source of interest/entertainment after that.

Perhaps this charts the course of what might be termed "liberalism" from a progressive beginning to a conservative ending. The interesting, radical, untested notions of an idealistic protest movement become the tired, unresponsive doctrines of a reactionary, stupid establishment.

For science fiction and futurism, it's pretty fatal to have your ideas shown to be not only old-fashioned but unworkable. Cheap plot devices like "universal translators" or "matter-energy transporters" may be laughable, but they somehow get a pass because they're so far from our ordinary experience that they still seem vaguely possible. But concepts like moral and cultural relativism have been tested in the real world of the present day, found to be wanting, and discarded.

Except in what terms itself "the reality-based community". They still get a buzz out of the unitard reruns.